Last updated on November 28th, 2023.
Getting Into Astrology? Start Here
For centuries, astrology has been a compass for curious souls seeking insight into their personalities and everyday life. But the unfamiliar symbols and new phrases can make astrology seem like a cryptic language. Well, the truth is that astrology is accessible to everyone.
Kickstart your astrology journey with these ten easy-to-follow steps.
Learn Astrology Basics in 10 Steps
1. Discover Your Big Three
Begin with your Big Three: your Sun sign, Moon sign, and Ascendant (or Rising sign). Use an online calculator with your birth details.
These three signs form the foundation of your astrological profile:
- The Sun sign represents your core personality, identity, and creative expression.
- The Moon sign represents your emotional inner world, habits, and instincts.
- The Rising sign represents how you present to others and your standards for yourself.
For example, my methodical Capricorn Rising and independent Aquarius Moon combo means I’m cool doing my own thing, even though my social Libra Sun loves company. Discovering more about my big three taught me I could lead and innovate in my relationships and community.
2. Check Out Your Horoscope
Horoscopes are the daily bread of astrology. They show you how the stars might shape your day, week, or month. Be sure to read your horoscope for both your Sun and Rising signs to get the complete picture.
Check out Astro-Seek’s Personal Daily Horoscope or follow well-known astrologers for their insights.
3. Enroll in an Astrology Class
Classes can break down complex concepts into bite-sized lessons. They can cover everything from the zodiac signs to chart reading.
There are many reputable and accredited astrology schools online and across the globe. Kepler College is a solid choice for a mix of historical context and practical application.
4. Create Astrology Flashcards
Use flashcards for quick and easy reference on astrological symbols, terms, and concepts. They can help you build a quick-reference system for interpreting charts and understanding astrological content.
Here are astrology keywords for the planets and signs to get you started:
Planets in Astrology
- Sun: Self, identity, essence, vitality, power, life-force
- Moon: Emotions, instincts, habits, nurturing, receptivity, reflection
- Mercury: Communication, thought, intellect, analysis, transport
- Venus: Love, beauty, harmony, pleasure, attraction, relationships
- Mars: Drive, aggression, desire, courage, energy, initiation
- Jupiter: Expansion, optimism, abundance, wisdom, experience, exploration
- Saturn: Discipline, responsibility, structure, challenge, reality, time
- Uranus: Rebellion, innovation, disruption, liberation, individuality, change
- Neptune: Spirituality, dreams, illusion, compassion, intuition, mysticism
- Pluto: Transformation, power, rebirth, depth, intensity, unconscious
- Aries: Initiative, courage, impatience, leadership, pioneering
- Taurus: Stability, patience, stubbornness, materialism, sensuality
- Gemini: Communication, curiosity, restlessness, versatility, sociability
- Cancer: Nurturing, sensitivity, moodiness, home, intuition
- Leo: Creativity, pride, generosity, drama, performance, ego
- Virgo: Analysis, practicality, criticism, service, detail-oriented
- Libra: Balance, diplomacy, indecisiveness, aesthetics, relationships
- Scorpio: Intensity, secrecy, power, passion, transformation
- Sagittarius: Optimism, restlessness, philosophy, adventure, truth-seeking
- Capricorn: Ambition, caution, discipline, authority, structure
- Aquarius: Innovation, rebelliousness, altruism, detachment, eccentricity
- Pisces: Empathy, dreaminess, escapism, spirituality, sensitivity
6. Talk to an Astrologer
Personal consultations opened up new perspectives for me, offering tailored insights that weren’t apparent from books, classes, or research. Find someone with good reviews or recommended by the community. Get ready for your meeting with specific questions to maximize the experience.
7. Engage with Astrological Communities
8. Establish Astrology Practices and Rituals
Incorporating astrology into your daily life strengthens your understanding. Start simple—track moon phases or study celebrity birth charts. Consistency will reveal deeper patterns and applications.
Questions From Our Readers
Q: I’m interested in the relationship aspect of astrology. Where should I start?
A: To understand relationships, start with chart comparisons to see how your planets interact with someone else’s—like how your Venus relates to their Mars.
Q: How accurate is astrology when predicting the future?
A: Astrology outlines potentials and possibilities based on patterns. It’s not about predicting the future with certainty but understanding tendencies and trends.
Q: What’s the best way to learn astrology?
A: A combination of daily engagement, structured classes, practical tools like flashcards, and community support creates a solid foundation for learning.
Start Your Astrology Journey Now
Astrology can be a lifelong journey of discovery, challenging us to pick up new words and a new outlook. With some curiosity and the right pointers, it can be a rewarding personal adventure for those who seek it.
Remember, the journey into astrology is personal and unique, and there is no “wrong” way to explore it.