Last updated on November 29th, 2023.
Medical Qigong is among the four main branches of Chinese medicine, along with acupuncture, medical massage, and herbal medicine. Qigong works like the other branches of traditional Chinese medicine, which balances Qi (electromagnetic energy) which surrounds and exists in all creatures. Disruption of Qi occurs because of how we choose to live our lives. Injuries, diets, sedentary lifestyles, suppression of emotions, and aging interfere with your Qi, and that’s where Qigong comes into the picture to bring back balance.
The 5 Best Medical Qigong Certifications out there are:
Medical Qigong corrects bio-energetic imbalances and blockages. Creating these balances will enable your body to strengthen and regulate internal organs and the immune system, regulate hormones and relieve pain, among other functions. When you’re a medical Qigong practitioner, you’ll help regulate your client’s Qi. You can learn about Qigong, get a certification and practice this ancient form of healing.
What is medical qigong?
Qigong directly translates to “Energy Work.” Medical qigong is a well-refined system of meditations and exercise that increases our ability to obtain, reserve, circulate, and purify our Qi. If you practice Qigong diligently, you can learn how to use your mind as a tool to direct the flow of electrical signals and energetic components which comprise the mind, body, and soul. Qigong will help you master your mental, physical, and emotional health. By mastering all these aspects of our lives and bodies, it becomes easier to resist everyday diseases and stresses.
When you become a medical Qigong practitioner, your role is to use Qigong for medical purposes. As a medical Qigong practitioner, you can help your patients by cleansing, redirecting, and restoring the patient’s vital energy. During a medical Qigong treatment, the patient lies or sits on the table. At the same time, the practitioner uses various hand movements and mental images to perform energetic healing to perform an energetic healing procedure. As the practitioner does this, the patient will feel multiple emotional and physical things happening in their bodies.
Most of the time, the patients have an overwhelming feeling of well-being and deep relaxation. What a patient experiences during their sessions vary from one to the other. During these procedures, non invasive techniques are used, and there is little to no physical touch required. Refer out detail guide explaining What is qigong and how does it work?
There are two main types of medical qigong practice. These include:
- Internal medical qigong: Internal practice utilizes your ability to self-heal. Self-healing can be seen as prescriptive exercises, meditation practices, breathing techniques, or a combination. Internal practices are tailored to each individual based on their diagnosis, constitution, and treatment plan. Practitioners tend to offer their patients’ detailed guidance for the internal practice. They can also offer modifications and other personal-tailored prognoses.
- External medicinal qigong: This qigong practice involves the direction and transmission of Qi from the practitioner to the patient. A practitioner must undergo specific training and personal cultivation to do this and more. A practitioner can identify deficiencies, purge excesses, and harmonize the overall energy within a patient. All this ends up achieving a holistic restoration of health and balance.
How does medical qiqong differ from regular qiqong?
There are mainly three forms of qigong; martial, medical, and spiritual. Martial qigong can improve performance in any sport, including martial arts, while spiritual qigong includes moving meditation and even stillness. But when it comes to Medical qigong, it consists of the practice of emitting Qi for the sole purpose of healing. Every form of qigong has a specific function.
Medical qigong includes prescription and therapy that combines breathwork with physical movements and mental intention. Medical qigong gives clients an effective and safe way to rid the body of many years of electromagnetic disruption. These disruptions in the body are often caused by chemicals, surgeries, injuries, environment, emotional changes, and aging.
To further explain how medical qigong works, we can use an example. Currently, in some countries like the U.S and China, doctors apply qigong in hospitals to treat patients with varying illnesses. Medical qigong can help eliminate the disease from the body and the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation. Medical qigong is quite good at treating any chronic disorders of the digestive pain, chronic pain, respiratory, cardiovascular, and nervous systems.
Most times, you’ll find that medical qigong is taught in person, unlike other forms of qigong that one can learn through online classes. Medical qigong is highly specialized, requiring extensive knowledge of anatomy, complex theory, physiology, and pathology. The level of training necessary to be a medical qigong includes thousands of hours, and you need to provide an assessment of your health.
What can I do with a medical qigong certification?
A medical qigong certification will help you treat yourself and others too. With a certificate, you can choose to help patients facing ailments by balancing their Qi and making them feel better to achieve a more productive life. With a medical qigong certification, you can teach others how to balance their Qi and live a more balanced lifestyle.
If you’re wondering who should take this course, you should know that this is a fantastic certification for:
- Massage Therapists
- Yoga Instructors
- Martial Arts Instructors, Reiki Practitioners
- Qigong Instructors
- Other professionals and laypeople will benefit from this teacher training program. No prerequisites are required.
How do I become a Qigong practitioner?
Qigong Clinical Practitioner
- At least two years of clinical experience
- At least 500 hours of documented formal qigong training, including 300 hours dedicated to didactic and 200 hours explicitly dedicated to qigong
- At least 100 hours of qigong treatment, which can be either contact or non-contact adjunct massage manipulations, Qi emission, and teaching of prescriptive exercises
- An interview with members of the Application Review Committee from the NQA.
- A current liability insurance policy.
Qigong Senior Clinical Practitioner
- At least 1,500 hours of documented formal qigong training; at least 500 of these hours should be didactic, while at least 350 hours should be devoted explicitly to qigong
- At least ten years of clinical experience
- At least 1,000 hours of treatment; either contact or non-contact teaching of prescriptive exercises or any combination thereof, adjunct massage manipulations, and Qi emission
- A current liability insurance policy
- Interview with the Application Review Committee from NQA members
Qigong Integrated Practitioner
- At least 350 hours of documented formal qigong training
- At least five years of personal qigong training
- At least two years of integrating qigong into your professional practice
5 Medication Qigong Certifications We Love
When looking to earn a medical qigong certification, spotting the right institution and course for you to take can be a little tricky. Here, we have listed some of our favorites, and you can choose which one best suits your needs. Medical qigong will not only help you better your life and health but also be able to help others clear their energies and have excellent mental, physical, and spiritual health.
1. White Tiger Qigong: Qigong Master Course and Teacher Training
White Tiger Qigong presents an exceptional 15-week, 5-level, online Qigong Teacher Training program. In this qigong teacher training, you’ll explore the intricacies of each qigong exercise, understanding the mechanics, alignment, and the fundamental theory underpinning each movement. Level 4, Prescription Qigong, is where this course shines. You will learn to craft personalized remedies for a range of conditions such as physical discomfort, emotional stability, fascia-specific treatments, Chinese Medicine-inspired Qigong, Qigong for persistent health issues, and more!
There’s no prescribed sequence to follow, allowing you the flexibility to select the modules that resonate most with your interests. Nevertheless, upon successful completion of the entire program, you can earn the esteemed title of White Tiger QiGong instructor.
A closer look at the course content:
- Level 1: Body. Immerse yourself in the mechanics, alignment, and historical context of each exercise, including its intriguing and sometimes controversial history. You’ll gain mastery over the Qigong forms, and explore the profound wisdom of Qigong Theory, Taoist philosophy, the concept of the 3 Treasures, 3 Harmonies, and the fascinating connection with fascia.
- Level 2: Breath. Acquire insights into the workings of Qi, the vital life force, and learn precise techniques to channel it through your body.
- Level 3: Spirit. Unlock the state of flow. By merging time-honored Taoist practices with scientifically grounded techniques, you’ll graduate from this level with a deepened connection to the art of Qigong. This newfound awareness opens up fresh possibilities in your pursuit of overall well-being and inner equilibrium.
- Level 4: Prescription Qigong (Medical Qigong). Gain insights into the robust frameworks of Chinese Medicine, Fascia, and Sports Medicine, and learn to tailor Qigong practices to suit individual needs. Bid farewell to generic solutions and embrace a world of personalized healing and rejuvenation.
- Level 5: Teacher Training. Offers one of the most comprehensive teaching courses available. To attain your official Qigong Instructor certification, you will undergo evaluation through both a video test and a theoretical examination.
With your deepened practice, whether it’s in Qigong, yoga, meditation, or other holistic disciplines, you’ll have the opportunity to teach and cultivate a thriving business through holistic wellness with White Tiger Qigong.
2. Nicole Lee Qigong: Guigen Medical Qigong
Elevate your well-being under the guidance of Nicole Lee Qigong, an internationally certified qigong teacher adept in both modern and classical qigong styles. Nicole’s expertise extends to meditation, mindfulness, energy healing, and craniosacral therapy, culminating in a holistic approach to self-care and healing.
In this course, Qigong for Self-Healing, you’ll uncover the Guigen qigong form. Comprising a sequence of six movements, this practice empowers you to cultivate a routine that nurtures vitality.
The focus is on guiding Qi’s flow within the body’s main meridian network and the zang/fu organ system. Each zang organ is associated with a fu organ, creating five yin-yang organ systems. Each of these organ systems corresponds with one of the five phases of transformation.
The package includes invaluable resources
- two form tuition videos
- six detailed individual form videos
- three guided form practice videos
- comprehensive form notes
- a series of pre-recorded tuition videos
Tailor your learning experience according to your pace and preferences. Opt for a fully self-paced study or choose self-study with tuition guidance. For an enriched experience, consider upgrading during checkout to include a personal online session with Nicole Lee. She can help illuminate your journey with extensive knowledge and insights, fostering a deeper connection to the profound world of qigong.
3. Qi Revolution
Qi Revolution has the most potent qigong healing course available to advanced and beginner practitioners. This training will only take eighteen hours of your life and change it wholly. You will learn about the history of qigong and how to use qigong to heal ailments like PTSD, stress, and emotional challenges. Besides that, you’ll also learn about food. For example, you will learn about specific foods for specific diseases, the science of free radicals and antioxidants, and how to use food to reverse depression.
Besides healing, you’ll also learn about different types of meditation that will help you manipulate Qi. Meditations include ones to balance the chakras, expand the magnetic field, and recharge the chakras. By completing this training, you will fully understand qigong and even be able to practice this ancient form of healing.
4. International Medical Qigong College (IMQC)
This college teaches both the theoretical aspects of qigong and the practical part. The experiential aspects of this course are well-balanced with a solid theoretical foundation. In this program, learning to become a medical qigong practitioner is a step-by-step process. Every class, internship, and practical builds on each other to give more knowledge and advancement.
IMQC offers three types of medical qigong programs which include:
- Medical Qigong Practitioner (MQP): This is a 200hour certification program where students learn specific medical qigong exercises to calm the mind, heal the body, and connect with the spirit. You will also learn the foundational qigong Qi emission protocols to restore balance.
- Medical Qigong Therapist (MQT): MQT is a 555-hour certification program that progresses from where MQP left off. Students learn advanced assessment skills, remote work, and Qi deviations here. MQT teaches specialty programs like Gynecology, Neurology, Psychology, and others.
- Medical Qigong Master (MQM): This program builds upon the knowledge learned from the other two programs. This program delves deeper into medical qigong , arousing a deeper understanding of the practice.
- DMQ Program: This 200-hour program certificate implies that you’ve understood the highest standard of medical qigong knowledge.
5. Acupuncture and Integrative Medicine College, Berkeley
This medical qigong certificate program by Acupuncture and Integrative Medicine College, Berkeley, has a 6-module series that will provide students and practitioners with a deep self-inquiry and Qi cultivation opportunity. You will learn medical qigong therapeutic and diagnostic treatment methods. The three main goals of the program include:
- Self-cultivation: Students will learn and practice how to sense Qi, set boundaries, and practice various qigong forms. You will also learn how to cultivate your own Qi for mind, body, and spirit health.
- Chinese Medicine Theory and Medicinal Daoism: This includes taking an in-depth look at Qi theory and practice’s main cosmological and psycho-emotional dimensions.
Medical qigong training: Students will build Qi emissions and Qi sensitivity practices during this training. You can use Qi movements, sounds, balls, and others.
Qigong is such an ancient gift to the word, especially right now. We all need balance and detoxifying of our Qi. Upon learning qigong, it becomes your duty to help others discover its benefits and help them balance out their Qi. Qigong is a highly effective alternative medicine practice. It is effective in treating all ailments, which is why it’s such an essential ancient practice.