Last updated on December 8th, 2023.
Mental health is a vital aspect of our daily lives. It is vital to have a service that can help you out whenever you have a mental health emergency. One of the things that can be highly unpredictable is a mental health emergency. Unlike other forms of illnesses, mental health doesn’t have symptoms and can be abrupt.
The state of our mental health affects how we think, feel and act. Most mental health conditions like depression and anxiety affect our day-to-day life. Having “mental health services near me” helps make it convenient to see a doctor or talk to a professional who can help you immediately.
With proper mental health, one can realize the everyday stresses of life and learn to deal with them without feeling overwhelmed. When you’re in a mental crisis, it can be challenging to reason with common sense. There are tools that your doctor can equip you with that can help you better manage and reduce these types of emergencies.
You can find mental health services in public hospitals, a personal doctor, or online. Due to the abruptness of the illness, many online platforms offer qualified therapists and doctors in different mental health areas to help out anyone in need of mental health services at the comfort of their home or whenever they can’t go to a doctor’s office.
What Does Mental Health Services Do?
Mental health service uses medicine or social therapy to a group or individual to attain proper function and prevent relapse. Mental health care is defined as direct and indirect care to patients with mental disorders. Most mental health services include assessment, medication, peer support, crisis intervention, medication support, among other services.
Mental health services mostly equip people with mental health problems and illnesses by diagnosing their conditions, offering tools to help them, and guiding them through their journey to recovery.
Things You Should Do If You’re Having a Mental Health Emergency
Mental health crises do occur without any warning whatsoever, catching friends and family off-guard. When someone is experiencing an emergency, they are unpredictable, and their behavior changes abruptly.
Often, a person experiencing a mental health emergency cannot fully understand what you’re saying or communicate what they’re feeling. It’s necessary to empathize with the person, speak calmly, connect with their feelings, and de-escalate the situation.
What you shouldn’t do in such a situation is try to touch them when they haven’t allowed you to, try to argue with their reasoning, or make judgemental comments. These actions will make the situation worse since they’ll feel like no one understands them.
In case a mental health crisis arises, you might notice it yourself if you have a mental health problem, but if not, people around you will notice. The first action you should pursue is to call 911 if it’s an emergency. If not, you or your loved ones can contact a personal therapist or doctor to help out.
There are steps you can take to know whether a situation is dire or not.
- What is the nature of your crisis? For example, let’s say you want to kill yourself. If you have a plan and location, you should go to the emergency room or call 911. But if you’re still hesitant, call a friend you trust or a family member and talk to them. Such issues shouldn’t be a secret.
- Avoid a crisis. If you have a mental health illness, it could be wise to plan. Talk to your doctor and progress a plan on what to do when the situation arises, how to excuse yourself from work, who to call and where to get services 24/7. You can also develop a plan on what to do to help you calm down as you wait for help to come.
- Talk to a doctor. If you already have a doctor, you can ask them to change up your medication if you feel like your situation or that of your loved one is worsening. A primary care physician can also help if you don’t have a mental health doctor that you regularly visit.
- Talk to someone. A mental health crisis is a very delicate situation that you shouldn’t handle alone. Call up someone you trust and talk to them. If you don’t have that friend or someone to talk to, call up an emergency service that deals with mental health in your area or a warmline where you can talk to other people going through the same problems as you.
- Take care of yourself. Think of what stabilized you in the past. It could be talking to a certain friend, meditation, sleep, exercising, or taking a walk. Do what will make you feel better if you don’t feel like the situation is dire. Find a way to appreciate your life.
The most important thing to remember during a crisis is that you’re not alone and can talk to someone about my problems who can help you out.
What is Considered a Mental Health Emergency?
A mental health emergency is any situation where a person is disoriented and out of touch with reality and threatens to harm themselves or others. Most mental health emergencies are life-threatening, and the individual is unable to function well. Most crises can escalate to deterioration and the inability to care for oneself.
Examples of mental health emergencies include;
- Self-inflicted injuries that require immediate attention
- Severely impaired due to the consumption of too much alcohol or the use of drugs. particular
- Erratic or unusual behavior that shows the inability to care for themselves
- Acting on a suicide threat
- Homicidal or threatening behavior
3 Great Resources When Looking for “Mental Health Services Near Me”
Sometimes getting out of your house or taking your friend or family with a mental health emergency to a hospital can be a bit of a stretch since they need immediate attention and help. Below are resources that could help you solve a mental health emergency at your utmost convenience.
1. Online Therapy
Online Therapy, unlike conventional therapy sessions, you can have assistance at the comfort of your home. You don’t have to show your face to a therapist’s place or waiting room, and thus your identity can stay anonymous if you want to.
Online Therapy offers affordable therapists, unlike what you will be charged to visit a physical therapist. You can talk to your therapist anytime from Monday to Friday. Plus there are some programs that offer online counseling that takes insurance.
The therapists in Online Therapy are all qualified and have many credentials. The treatment methods used by Online Therapy are well-researched methods like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to help patients feel better and be happier in the future.
To access a therapist, you don’t need an appointment. You can contact your therapist and talk to them whenever you feel the need to, as long as you have a device to help you communicate.
Online Therapy offers more than just therapy itself. Your therapist will guide you through these tools to help you find a happier version of yourself. These tools are;
- Sections – These tools will help you realize and challenge your issues to help you overcome them. These sections come in either audio, video, or text format.
- Worksheets– Under each section, there are multiple worksheets that you’ll be required to answer. In case you’re stuck, your therapist can help you out. These worksheets help you get hands-on tools and tips from your therapist daily.
- Weekly live chats. These chats can be through text, voice call, or video call. You’ll choose whichever suits you and your therapist most. This opportunity is perfect for getting instant support, help, and feedback.
- Messaging. As much you get to interact with your therapist through live chats and worksheets, you can also send them a message whenever you have a question.
- Journal. You will have an easy-to-use journal at your convenience whenever you need to get your thoughts out. You can do this in the morning and evening. With time, you’ll notice a big difference. Journaling will help you change your attitude towards life and yourself.
- Activity plan. Writing down goals you have for the day will significantly improve it, and make sure you go through with those plans. Those plans should be things that could make your day better, like taking a walk or meditating.
- Yoga is the newest feature on the site to help you make your day better by reducing your stress and anxiety. Check out these yoga poses to help with depression.
Talkspace is a great online therapy site that can help anyone get treatment. The app covers all types of therapy like; couples therapy, individual, teens(13-17), and psychiatry. When you join Talkspace, you will answer your preferences, then pick your therapist and begin your sessions.
Talkspace makes therapy more affordable and convenient since you don’t have to visit your doctor’s office ever so frequently. You can talk to your therapist anytime you need help and schedule meetings whenever they seem to work for you.
You can also switch between therapists at no extra cost if you don’t find compatibility between you and your other therapist.
Betterhelp is another great source that will help you with any therapeutic needs you have at the comfort of your own home. Betterhelp online counseling provides you access to your therapist anytime you need help, no need for scheduling a meeting.
You can also plan for a video meeting with your therapist at your convenience and get the help you deserve. Betterhelp offers worksheets, group sessions, and other tools that will help you get better fast.
On Betterhelp, you get to choose the type of therapy you would like to pursue whether, couple’s therapy, individual, or therapy for your teen.
You can also choose whichever way you prefer to communicate with your therapist, whether on chat, over the phone, or through video calls. Betterhelp offers you anonymity since you won’t have to go physically to a doctor’s office.
Mental health is a necessary facet of our health that can immensely affect our physical health if not cared for. It is convenient having help as soon as you can when you’re in a mental health crisis. Mental health is delicate and when taking care of your loved one or yourself, be sure to find the best care available.
Above all, the recommended resources have verified therapists with multiple degrees and certificates to show their work hence safe to work with them. Having a loved one or yourself getting treatment from qualified professionals is the best way to go. When looking for “mental health services near me,” the above resources can be beneficial.