Last updated on December 2nd, 2023.
To become “reformer certified” as a Pilates teacher means that you have completed specialized training and obtained a Pilates certification that qualifies you to teach Pilates using the Reformer apparatus.
What is a pilates reformer?
A Pilates reformer is a specialized piece of equipment used in Pilates workouts. It consists of a rectangular frame with a sliding carriage, springs of varying resistance, ropes, straps, and pulleys. The carriage is attached to the frame by springs, which provide resistance or assistance during exercises.
The reformer offers a versatile and adjustable platform for performing a wide range of Pilates exercises. The practitioner lies, sits, or kneels on the carriage and uses their body weight and the resistance provided by the springs to perform controlled and precise movements. The springs can be adjusted to increase or decrease the resistance level, allowing for customization based on the individual’s strength and ability.
Use of ropes and straps
The ropes and straps attached to the reformer’s pulleys are used to engage the upper body, arms, and legs, providing additional support or challenge depending on the exercise. The sliding carriage and the pulley system create a smooth and fluid movement experience, promoting core stability, strength, flexibility, and body awareness.
Improve posture, balance and strength
Working on a Pilates reformer allows for a full-body workout targeting various muscle groups simultaneously. It can help improve posture, balance, coordination, and overall body strength. The resistance provided by the springs helps to build lean muscle and increase muscular endurance without placing excessive stress on the joints.
Reformer exercises are adaptable
Pilates reformer exercises can be adapted to accommodate different fitness levels, making it suitable for beginners and advanced practitioners alike. It is often used in Pilates studios, fitness centers, and rehabilitation settings, providing a versatile and effective tool for both fitness training and rehabilitation purposes.
What does it mean to get reformer certified as a pilates teacher?
To become Reformer certified, you would typically need to complete a training program or course specifically focused on teaching Pilates exercises using the Reformer apparatus. These programs are often offered by recognized Pilates organizations or training centers.
The Reformer certification program usually covers topics such as Reformer anatomy and mechanics, specific exercises and variations, modifications for different populations or special conditions, and proper cueing and teaching techniques. You’ll learn how to create effective workouts and guide clients through a variety of Reformer exercises safely and efficiently.
Upon successful completion of the training program, which often includes practical assessments and examinations, you will receive a certification that signifies your qualification to teach Pilates on the Reformer. This certification can help establish your expertise and provide credibility when seeking employment opportunities or working with clients who prefer Reformer-based Pilates training. We also cover some of the best Pilates online certifications.
Without further ado, the 10 best pilates reformer teacher trainings are
It’s important to note that the perception of the “best” reformer certification programs for Pilates can vary depending on individual preferences, location, and specific goals.
Continue to the end for more detailed reviews, but here is a quick snapshot of the best pilates reformer certification programs. However, here are ten reputable and widely recognized reformer certification programs for Pilates.
1. Balanced Body
Balanced Body has highly regarded Pilates instructor training programs, which include a dedicated focus on Reformer certification. Their reformer curriculum is renowned for its extensive coverage of Pilates principles, techniques, and repertoire, equipping instructors with a deep understanding of how to effectively utilize the reformer apparatus.
- Functional movement emphasis. Balanced Body’s reformer certification program places a strong emphasis on functional movement, teaching instructors how to apply Pilates principles to enhance everyday activities and movement patterns. This approach enables instructors to help clients improve their overall functionality and movement efficiency.
- Integration of contemporary approaches. Balanced Body’s reformer certification program incorporates contemporary approaches to Pilates instruction, blending traditional Pilates principles with modern exercise science and research.
why we love it
The integration of contemporary approaches allows instructors to provide a well-rounded and up-to-date Pilates experience for their clients.
2. Peak Pilates
Peak Pilates is widely recognized for offering comprehensive education and certification programs, which encompass Reformer training as a crucial component. Their programs are highly regarded for their dual emphasis on honoring the classical Pilates principles while incorporating contemporary teaching techniques, ensuring a well-rounded and adaptable approach to Pilates instruction.
- Classical pilates foundation. Peak Pilates’ education and certification programs prioritize the core principles and foundations of classical Pilates, providing a solid grounding in the original teachings of Joseph Pilates. This focus allows instructors to maintain the integrity and essence of Pilates while adapting to the needs of modern clients.
- Integration of contemporary teaching techniques. Peak Pilates also incorporates contemporary teaching techniques and methodologies into their programs, empowering instructors to effectively connect with and engage their students in a modern context. This blend of classical and contemporary approaches ensures instructors are equipped to deliver dynamic and relevant Pilates sessions.
This education focuses on the original teachings of Joseph Pilates, the man that started it all.
3. Stott Pilates
Stott Pilates is renowned for its diverse array of certification programs, which encompass Reformer training as a key component. The organization has established a strong reputation for its commitment to anatomical principles, providing instructors with a solid understanding of human movement and biomechanics, as well as for their expertise in modifications tailored to different populations, ensuring inclusivity and adaptability in Pilates instruction.
- Anatomical emphasis. Stott Pilates places a significant emphasis on anatomical principles in their certification programs. Instructors undergo in-depth training that focuses on understanding the body’s biomechanics, alignment, and movement patterns. This knowledge equips them with the ability to guide clients with precision and awareness, promoting effective and safe execution of Pilates exercises.
- Modifications for diverse populations. Stott Pilates is recognized for its comprehensive approach to modifications, allowing instructors to adapt Pilates exercises to suit various populations, such as individuals with injuries, pregnant women, or older adults.
we love the focus on inclusivity
The training ensures that instructors learn to adapt Pilates exercises to diverse populations.
4. BASI Pilates
BASI Pilates offers a rigorous certification program that encompasses Reformer training, combining contemporary Pilates approaches with evidence-based research. With a strong emphasis on precision, flow, and fundamental movement principles, BASI Pilates equips instructors with the skills to deliver precise and fluid Pilates sessions.
- Integration of contemporary pilates. BASI Pilates incorporates modern perspectives and advancements in Pilates methodology into their certification program, ensuring instructors are well-versed in contemporary Pilates practices that align with current movement principles and industry developments.
- Evidence-based approach. BASI Pilates emphasizes the integration of evidence-based research into their training program, allowing instructors to understand the scientific foundations behind Pilates techniques.
why we like it
An evidence-based approach means that instructors can make informed decisions and tailor workouts to individual needs, maximizing the effectiveness and safety of each session.
5. Power Pilates
Power Pilates is recognized for its comprehensive instructor training program, which encompasses Reformer certification. Their unique approach combines the traditional principles of classical Pilates with a contemporary perspective, providing instructors with a well-rounded skill set.
- Fusion of classical and contemporary. Power Pilates integrates the foundational principles of classical Pilates with modern advancements, offering instructors a balanced understanding of both traditional and contemporary Pilates techniques.
- Dynamic and versatile instruction. Power Pilates’ program equips instructors with the ability to deliver dynamic and versatile Pilates sessions, incorporating elements from both classical and contemporary styles. This versatility allows instructors to tailor workouts to the specific needs and preferences of their clients, fostering a personalized and engaging Pilates experience.
focus on customization
Learn to tailor workouts to specific needs and preferences.
6. Pilates Method Alliance (PMA)
The Pilates Method Alliance (PMA) is a non-profit organization that plays a vital role in the Pilates community by offering a certification program for Pilates instructors. While the PMA does not directly provide training, their primary focus lies in establishing standards and guidelines for Pilates education, ensuring quality and consistency in the field. They evaluate and certify programs that meet their rigorous criteria, promoting excellence and professionalism in Pilates instruction.
- Certification authority. The PMA serves as a recognized authority for Pilates instructor certification, providing a trusted credential that demonstrates an instructor’s proficiency and adherence to industry standards.
- Standards and guidelines. The PMA’s emphasis on establishing standards and guidelines helps maintain the integrity and quality of Pilates education. Their criteria cover various aspects, including the curriculum, instructor qualifications, safety protocols, and ethical considerations, promoting professionalism and safety in the field of Pilates instruction.
focus on standards
We like that PMA focuses heavily on standards and guidelines so the education is consistent and of the highest quality.
7. Body Control Pilates
Body Control Pilates stands out as a leading provider of Pilates teacher training, providing a structured and progressive approach to education that includes Reformer certification. With a focus on a well-organized curriculum and a step-by-step learning process, Body Control Pilates ensures instructors develop a strong foundation in Pilates principles and teaching methodology.
- Comprehensive curriculum. Body Control Pilates offers a comprehensive curriculum that covers essential topics, enabling instructors to develop a deep understanding of Pilates principles, techniques, and effective teaching methods.
- Step-by-step progression. Body Control Pilates’ training approach follows a progressive structure, allowing instructors to build their knowledge and skills in a systematic manner, ensuring a solid foundation before advancing to more complex exercises and teaching strategies.
It’s all about building a solid foundation and developing skills in a systematic way.
8. Polestar Pilates
Polestar Pilates is recognized for offering comprehensive Pilates training programs that encompass Reformer certification. Their curriculum goes beyond traditional Pilates teachings by incorporating scientific principles, in-depth movement analysis, and rehabilitation techniques, enabling instructors to approach Pilates instruction with a deeper understanding of the body and its mechanics.
- Integration of scientific principles. Polestar Pilates’ training programs go beyond the surface-level aspects of Pilates by integrating scientific principles into their curriculum.
- Focus on movement analysis and rehabilitation. Polestar Pilates places a strong emphasis on movement analysis and rehabilitation techniques, equipping instructors with the skills to assess movement patterns and address individual needs effectively. This focus allows instructors to apply Pilates as a rehabilitative tool, helping clients recover from injuries or movement dysfunctions while fostering overall well-being.
what we love
The scientific approach provides instructors with a solid foundation in anatomy, physiology, and biomechanics, enabling them to design tailored and evidence-based Pilates programs.
9. The Pilates Center
The Pilates Center provides a comprehensive training program in the classical Pilates method, with a strong emphasis on Reformer certification and a focus on in-depth understanding and application of Joseph Pilates’ original work.
- The training program at The Pilates Center is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the classical Pilates method.
- The center places special emphasis on Reformer certification, ensuring a thorough knowledge and expertise in this specific aspect of Pilates.
A strong emphasis on Joseph Pilates’ original teachings.
10. Romana's Pilates
Romana’s Pilates offers a certification program that preserves the classical Pilates method through rigorous training, including Reformer certification, while maintaining the teachings of Joseph Pilates.
- The program offered by Romana’s Pilates stays true to the teachings of Joseph Pilates, ensuring an authentic Pilates experience.
- Romana’s Pilates provides a comprehensive certification program that emphasizes the classical Pilates method and includes Reformer certification.
what we like
Reformer certification is included in this comprehensive certification.
Final thoughts on the best pilates reformer teacher training?
There are several reputable and widely recognized Pilates reformer certification programs available for individuals aspiring to become certified Pilates instructors. The ten programs listed above have established themselves as leaders in the industry.
These programs offer comprehensive and rigorous training that covers essential aspects of Pilates instruction, including Reformer-based exercises. While each program may have its own unique approach and focus, they all aim to equip instructors with the knowledge and skills necessary to teach Pilates effectively, safely, and in accordance with established principles.
When choosing a certification program, it is crucial to consider personal preferences, location, financial considerations, and career goals. Prospective Pilates instructors should carefully research and evaluate the curriculum, instructors’ qualifications, program reputation, and any additional support or resources offered.
Ultimately, the “best” Pilates reformer certification program will depend on individual needs and preferences. By selecting a program aligned with their goals and values, aspiring instructors can embark on a rewarding journey to become certified Pilates professionals, equipped with the knowledge and skills to guide clients towards improved health, strength, and overall well-being.