Last updated on September 23rd, 2023.
Tai Chi is a wonderful form of self-defense and relaxation that many want to learn. Unfortunately, it can be hard to find quality Tai Chi classes in an online format. There are a ton of sources available, but only if you know where to look. It can be all too easy to fall victim to a scam and lose money on bad classes. You might wonder -what are the best classes online?
There are three classes that we consider the best. These include:
All of these are quality courses for anyone seeking to learn this unique fighting style. They are all tailored to different ages and different ways of living, so anyone can find something they would like.
Keep one reading to understand more about learning Tai Chi. We will go over some basics and discuss the top three classes that you might want to implement into your life. One of them is sure to fit your needs for learning.
Is It Possible to Learn Tai Chi by Yourself?
Tai Chi is most often learned in a classroom setting. You will benefit from taking on skills with others, watching, and learning along with them. In recent times, however, classroom environments have become less and less common. You might wonder if it is possible to learn Tai Chi by yourself. This solo location might be at home or in a studio setting.
While it is a little harder to learn this skill on your own, Tai Chi can be learned by yourself if you are determined enough. You will need to ensure that you provide yourself with the necessary tools to accomplish this brand-new skill. If you are driven enough to push on, Tai Chi will be under your belt in no time at all.
Can I Learn Tai Chi Online?
Nowadays, you can learn just about anything online. Whether you want to understand how to bake cookies or tie your shoelaces, chances are incredibly high that there is a video, article, or classroom on the internet that you will be able to learn from.
Tai Chi is also a skill that can be understood online. There are a ton of great benefits, which include:
- Flexibility of location. With online courses, you can learn from a million different locations. If you are in a kitchen, you can learn. If you are working in a restaurant, you can learn. This cannot be done with a physical class.
- Cost. Online classes are typically cheaper than a class that is taken in person. Those who want to be cost-efficient will find that Tai Chi is best taken online so that they can keep some extra money in their pocket.
- Relearn ability. With many online classes, you will be able to watch the content over and over again. This is good for those who need a little more time to learn certain skills.
All of these make Tai Chi simple to learn online. You should consider these benefits if you are in a situation that makes it hard to attend a class to learn.
Those who learn best in a crowd should not take Tai Chi online. You should be a strong independent learner because you will need to set your deadlines for your education. Learners should be highly motivated.
Is Tai Chi Difficult to Learn?
Tai Chi sounds like it would be hard to learn. After all, it’s a technique that has been around for a very long time. Fortunately, it is very easy to master. Using it as a fighting style is a little more complex, but that is not necessary when you are just starting as a student.
Learn more about tai chi for beginners in that article and the steps on how to get started!
Tai Chi is simple for anybody to learn because:
- The movements are slow. Tai Chi movements are nice and slow. This changes if it is used as a fighting style. However, for the most part, Tai Chi is simply a series of movements that are done at a moderate speed. This makes them easy to follow.
- It can be done anywhere. Tai Chi does not need a fighting partner to be practiced. Users trying to better themselves can practice their skills from wherever they are.
- Anyone can do it. Anyone from seniors to children can learn Tai Chi. Some moves are more difficult than others. What you choose might depend on your age, but there are easy options for everybody. (Check out Tai Chi for seniors.)
All of these make Tai Chi easy to learn, no matter who you are. It is available to whoever wants to try it out.
As we mentioned, Tai Chi gets harder when it is used as an actual fighting method. The movements are sped up, and it can be almost impossible to keep up with. However, the slow movements of Tai Chi for wellness are easy to learn. A grandmother can take on the same moves as her grandchild and do them well.
How Long Does It Typically Take to Learn Tai Chi?
A new skill can take a long time to learn. With something like Tai Chi, it might seem like it would take quite a while. There are a ton of different stances, moves, and actions that you can take. How long does it take the average student to learn Tai Chi?
On average, it takes a new student about thirty hours to learn the basic forms. This length is based on:
- The repetitive hours that are required for practice
- The number of moves that a beginner must master before moving on
Both of these can lengthen or shorten the time depending on the user.
If you move quickly through skills, it might not take you long at all to master Tai Chi. However, if you need to practice multiple times before moving on, it will take you a little bit longer. There is no shame in taking a long time. You should ensure that you have a move nailed down before you go forward.
The 3 Best Tai Chi Classes Online
Now that you understand a few of the basics about learning Tai Chi, you should know about a few of the best classes available online. It can be hard to find quality ones all by yourself. These are a few of the best ones that you can find.
All of these are quality. The classes are aimed to improve your Tai Chi skills, regardless of your skill level. It is up to you to select the one that best works for your body and learning style. Each will work for a different age group, financial budget, and skill level.
1. mindbodygreen: The Complete Guide To Tai Chi
The first Tai Chi class on this list is mindbodygreen’s course. This class is designed to bring harmony to the entire body. Users can expect to release any pain they are keeping pent up in their bodies and find a sense of renewal once they finish this class.
If you take the mindbodygreen course, you can expect to receive:
- A guide that will walk you through the classes and the skills that you are going to learn
- Information about Tai Chi and how it can help you out in other areas of your life
- An approach with an experienced instructor that will guide you through the course
All of these items, and more, are available for a small fee of $180. That’s a really good price for this level of instruction online, though it might seem a little intimidating at first.
You can watch these lessons as many times as you need to master the craft. You will also be able to communicate with your classmates, learning and growing in a way that is just as collaborative and effective as an indoor setting. This teaching method is an excellent online option.
2. strala: Tai Chi Morning
Our next class is Tai Chi Morning from strala. This class differs from the mindbodygreen variety because it runs on a month-to-month basis. All you need to do is go online, log in to a paid account, and you will have access to some courses with the co-founder of the site, Mike Taylor. These quality videos are short, simple, and to the point.
If you invest in a subscription for the Strala Tai Chi courses, you will receive:
- Access to many helpful instructional videos that will guide you along
- Advice from an expert of the craft who can assist you visually
- Regular and updated access to new videos so that you can learn new skills and master your old ones
More content is constantly being added to the Strala platform. You don’t have to experience the same thing twice in your learning experience, which makes it exciting to log on and watch the videos that have been created for its users.
Strala is excellent because it offers a free trial version for a week. You can test out the videos, and if you don’t like them, you can cancel your subscription without a problem. If you only want to do Strala for a few months, you have that option as well. This course is quality for anyone who doesn’t want a super big commitment but still wants to learn.
3. Tai Chi Online Classes
Our final pick on this list is Tai Chi Online Classes. This site provides access to Tai Chi classes, focusing on the health benefits that one can find within this style of movement. Tai Chi Online is tailored more to the older crowd, so if you are above the age of fifty, you will likely find a great group of peers right here.
Some of the things that you will get from this course include:
- Instant access to all of the videos and lesson plans that will be in the class
- A forum and support group that you can use to talk to classmates and help each other out
- A way to contact the teacher, Sifu Michael Paler, without a problem if you are having trouble
All of these and more come with monthly payments of $40. These payments go on for about two years.
These courses are the most expensive out of all three that we have listed here. However, you get a lot out of them. If it is in your price point, Tai Chi Online Classes are definitely worth your money. Many health benefits can come from choosing this platform as your place to learn. And there is a large community waiting to connect with you.
What is Better, Yoga or Tai Chi?
Now that you understand all of the basics about taking Tai Chi online, you might be curious about how it compares to yoga. After all, many tai chi sites also offer yoga. They are very different styles of movement. Which is better?
In all honesty, yoga and Tai Chi offer the same benefits. These include:
- Improved flexibility in every part of your body
- Great cardio health, which can improve the state of your heart
- Toned muscles and improved strength overall
- Respiratory benefits that can assist you in breathing easier
- Balance, which can prevent falls and other items that might cause injury
All of these come with both of these movement styles.
If you want a slow movement that is tailored towards fighting, you should use Tai Chi. Those who want more of a stretch should take on yoga. They are a little bit different from each other. However, in terms of benefits, they have components that bring them together. Whichever one you pick is sure to bring you a sense of peace and contentment.
Tai Chi is a great skill to know. It might seem terrifying to learn, but there are many methods available to the average user. Taking online Tai Chi classes is an excellent way to learn, providing you with flexibility in your hours and the location of your lessons.
Selecting one of the three classes we listed above is sure to help you on your Tai Chi journey. All of them are great for learners of any ability. In no time at all, you will be showing the world what you are made of in a controlled manner.
(Now that you have learned about the art of Tai Chi, you may want to try Feng Shui courses online!)