Last updated on November 9th, 2023.
It’s no secret—astrology has become one of the most popular aspects of spirituality in the world. The idea of being able to know your life path, the intricate details about the future, as well as information about people’s personalities by the alignment of the stars and planets is an ancient one. (Does astrology tell the future? Find out in that article!) If you are thinking about entering the field or wondering how your astrologer got started, you are not alone.
How do I become an astrologer? Though there are no formal education requirements in the United States, you can become a certified astrologer by taking classes, learning from a mentor, and getting your skills tested by a professional organization.
There are many routes to becoming an astrologer, but each one has its own perks and pitfalls. If you are curious about what it takes to get your astrology on, you have come to the right place.
How Do I Become an Astrologer?
Becoming an astrologer isn’t easy, and each country has its own levels of study that is required. To be an astrologer in any country, you will need to study astrology, planetary positions, as well as the creation of birth charts in at least one type of practice.
There are many ways to learn the ropes. The most popular ways to do it include taking online astrology courses, getting taught by a mentor, taking live classes, or going to a professional board for certification.
(Still wonder what do astrologers do? We have the detailed answer in that article!)
What Qualifications Do You Need in Order to Become an Astrologer?
This varies greatly from country to country. In the United States, you do not need to have any official certifications or qualifications to be an astrologist.
However, you can get a certificate if you complete the right coursework with the American Federation of Astrologers. This can help you gain more clients and get a better reputation in the astrology community.
Things get very different in other countries, such as the United Kingdom. There, you are expected to have a license. The same can be said in countries like India, where astrology holds a highly regarded part of their religion.
How Long Does It Take to Learn Astrology?
That is a difficult question to answer, simply because many classes claim to teach you the basics in a couple of weeks. Though they may claim to do that, the truth is that being totally comfortable reading birth charts can take up to a year or more to do—and that’s if you study it intensely. However, you definitely can learn astrology, it may just take some time.
Creating birth charts and seeing the nuances of astrological readings takes longer. Many astrology groups go so far as to say it is a full four-year program, or more, before you can truly call yourself an astrologer.
There’s always something new to learn in astrology. It’s safe to say that learning astrology should be seen as a lifelong endeavor. You should set aside at least a year or two for study before you decide to charge for astrology.
What Types of Astrology Are There?
Believe it or not, astrology is not a “one size fits all” matter. There are many different categories of astrology, each with its own unique practice. Some of the more popular ones include:
- Western Astrology. Based on the writings of Ptolemy in the 2nd century, this is the most popular and widespread form of astrology in Europe and the Americas. If you have seen a horoscope reading in a newspaper, it was probably based on this astrology branch.
- Vedic Astrology. This is a highly popular form of astrology that first began in India. It is based on the holy Vedas books and is considered to be a Vedic science in the Hindu religion. By diving into this form you’ll see there are some key differences between Vedic and Western Astrology.
- Chinese Astrology. You might have heard about being born in the Year of the Rat, but there is so much more to this tradition than just years. Chinese astrology features different constellations as well as an entirely different zodiac system. This form of astrology also has a deep belief in yin and yang.
- Sidereal Astrology. Sidereal astrology works with both Western and Vedic astrology but uses subtle shifts in space to get a more accurate reading and correctly assume a person’s star sign.
- Kabbalistic Astrology. Kabbalistic Astrology is a practice that comes out of Jewish mysticism. Rabbis mostly reject it; however, some practitioners still exist.
Do I Have to Know More Than One Form of Astrology to Be an Astrologer?
Absolutely not! Most astrologers focus solely on one school, rather than a wide range of different beliefs. Sticking to a single school of astrology makes it easier for people to focus on perfecting that skill, which can lead to more accurate readings.
In most cases, clients know this and prefer to go with a specialized astrologer rather than one that knows five or six different schools of astrology. The same reasoning makes people prefer a master carpenter instead of a handyman.
Is Being an Astrologer A Good Career?
A quick flip through almost any magazine will show you that there’s no shortage of people who want to have their horoscopes done. However, this is not a typical 9 to 5 job, so if you were hoping for a salaried position somewhere, you are out of luck.
Astrologers usually have their own business and may supplement their business through booking readings at local psychic shops or offering online classes. Since this is an entrepreneurial type of job, it’s one that people either love or hate.
How Do Astrologers Make Money?
Astrologers do not have standard working hours, but that doesn’t mean they run out of options when it comes to making money. Take a look at Annie Botticelli, astrologers like her often find a large portion of their income coming from these things below:
- Readings. People will happily pay a premium price to get their own astrology chart done. Readings can be done in person, via internet meetings, or via phone. A reading can cost anywhere from $40 per session to upwards of $200.
- Astrology Books. If you are talented with a pen, writing astrology books can be a great way to get passive income and increase your name recognition and profile. Most top astrologers have published at least one or two books.
- Astrology Articles. Many top magazines and newspapers hire astrologers to write weekly, daily, or monthly predictions for each zodiac sign. This is typically done on a freelance basis, and contracts get negotiated regularly.
- Public Appearances. If you are in the top tier of astrologers, you might get booked for a television show or a radio guest appearance. This, too, can drive up income.
- Website Revenue. Going online has made it possible for astrologers to automate many parts of readings, create online stores with products related to astrology, and more. These types of sites off excellent revenue for many mystics.
- Astrology Advising. In many schools of mysticism, astrologers are viewed as trusted advisors who can help querents figure out everything from couples’ compatibility to the best career to pick. This is a major service among Vedic astrologers.
- Offering Classes. If an astrologer becomes well-versed enough, he or she might start to make money by offering classes to others who are curious about how astrologers predict events.
How Much Do Astrologers Get Paid?
Since this is not a salaried position, it can be hard to judge how much an astrologer makes. Many astrologers, for example, are part-timers who have another job as their primary vocation. However, there have been some studies performed about the overall income of full-time astrologers.
According to Paysa, astrologers typically make between $60,000 and $81,000 per year once they are established in their careers. Their income comes from consultations, website revenue, astrology products, guest appearances, as well as articles they might write for magazines.
Can You Get A Degree in Astrology?
Believe it or not, some groups offer degrees in astrology. Professional astrology organizations offer these degrees. However, there is a major caveat. While they are viewed favorably in the profession, the degree programs that you will find are not accredited by major school boards.
Some of the most popular astrology degrees can be obtained from the following groups:
- The Center for Psychological Astrology. Located in London, this degree program holds a heavy focus on how astrology influences our personalities and how to understand the subtle movements of star signs.
- Debra Silverman Certification. Top astrologer Debra Silverman has her own certification school dealing with astrology and the study of star fortunes.
- Kepler College. Though it’s not accredited, Kepler College does have degree programs in astrology. You can earn a degree, choose just one class, or get a certificate in one specific astrology form.
- The Professional Astrologers Association. This highly esteemed astrology consortium offers four different degrees and certifications dealing with astrology.
- Shri Maharshi College of Vedic Astrology. If you are interested in the Vedic astrology practices of India, you can get a degree in Vedic astrology. This college might be accredited in parts of India.
How Does Having A Certification in Astrology Help Your Career in Astrology?
If you live outside the United States, you might be required to have certification or a degree to be a professional astrologer. Not having the right certifications can cause you to pay fines as a result.
There are no such requirements in the United States. However, getting certified in the US can prove useful.
Getting certifications or a degree add clout to your role as an astrologer. They can also help with networking. Of course, there’s also something to be said about the value of having structured courses to help reinforce your knowledge about astrology.
What’s the Difference Between an Astronomer and An Astrologist?
This is a common question, especially to people who are new to the idea of cultivating their interest in the stars. Astronomy is the scientific study of space, stars, planets, and everything in the cosmos. It studies the position of everything in the sky, their properties, as well as their orbits.
Astrology is the practice of using the position of those celestial bodies to determine how they will affect people and events on Earth. Unlike astronomy, astrology is not regarded as a strict science. As a result of a lack of “hard numbers,” astrology is often considered the mystical side of astronomy.
Being an astrologer is not an easy task. It takes loads of studying and a deep understanding of star systems before you can make decent predictions or find connections that astrologers need. Though there aren’t any legally bound requirements for education when it comes to astrology careers, getting a degree or certification goes a long way.